TVOI Mission Statement
“The Voice of Idaho News service and website was initiated with the true intent of providing accountable, sourced, transparent and objective facts and information so that the freedom of the press is re-instilled as the backbone watchdog of government. To inform, challenge and connect not only the local communities of Idaho but to be the sounding board for others to follow.”
To align the Journalistic Standards of TVOI News with the Mission Statement above, the following standards and guidelines numbered below are implemented along with editorial edicts for the writers and contributors of TVOI News. Articles, columns, investigations, analysis and editorials submitted that do not conform to these standards may be rejected upon review by the TVOI Managing Staff or TVOI-selected editors. They may be rejected with specific suggested changes or rejected without any further explanation except, “Does not conform to TVOI News Guidelines.”
Writers and contributors may then rewrite and resubmit. A second rejection will be final for that article or topic unless completely rewritten to comply and resubmitted as a new submittal at some future date. The standards and guidelines will apply to all paid and non-paid voluntary submissions except Letter-to-the-editor (LTE) submissions. However, LTEs will not be accepted or printed if containing slander or libel of staff, other readers, persons or public figures either associated or not associated with TVOI News, LLC. Submitted LTEs containing charges and accusations of wrongdoing by public officials must conform to the same journalistic standards and guidelines applied to writers and accepted contributors of TVOI News for sourced facts and evidence.
All paid articles, columns and analysis must be specifically approved “for publication and payment” before any flat-rate or per-word payment will be made by TVOI News. Acceptance and Payment for non-core, writer and contributor submissions is strictly at the option of TVOI News Managing Staff. All payments will be made according to the published (TBD) flat-rate and per word standards and bonus levels currently in use on the date of acceptance.
1. News articles and columns MUST be written in 3rd person, objective style, be factually-based with transparent, sourced facts available for easy review upon request, or cited or denoted in the article or column. Investigative and analysis pieces may be written in 1st or 3rd person styles depending on topic and subject to editorial review and acceptance. Narrative Story-type submissions may also use 2nd-person writing style.
2. All submissions must be identified as falling into one of the five identified categories when submitted for publication/channel uploading; 1) News, 2) Analysis, 3) Investigative report, 4) Editorial content 5) Narrative/ Story. Each piece will have a one-sentence summary as to content and topic. The writer should also ‘tag’ submissions with at least 4 or more applicable media tags.
3. Information presented as factual in articles, columns and analysis must have 2 or more legitimate sources as determined by TVOI News managing staff. Quotations from sources must be confirmed with source, if not recorded, or come from a legitimate, independent 3rd-party source. Investigative and analysis pieces or video reports must be presented and edited so as to not alter true meaning and intent of source. Embedding of source URL links is encouraged within all written submissions.
4. All written submissions should be submitted as MSWord or Open-source translatable document files. They should be properly checked for spelling, grammar, syntax and paragraph structure. Tables and figures should be properly inserted/embedded for easy editing for publication. Repeated submissions of poorly checked articles or columns will be returned to the writer/author for correction. The purpose is for any submission to be handled with a minimum of effort and published quickly by staff. Writers/Contributors found to be responsible, accurate an detail-oriented will be granted access to publish on their own directly to the TVOI News site with little supervision.
5. Any current issue/topic or subject of broad common news and information or educational value and interest, may be accepted. TVOI will not restrict any issue for reasons of controversy from any political ideology but reserves the right to refuse publication for submissions in obvious bad public taste or low news value.
The Voice Of Idaho